Monday, January 18, 2016

Resurrecting the Craft Blog

Long overdue on updating this site, sorry.  Lately I have found myself needing a place to share my projects and insights again so it's definitely time to dust off this dinosaur.  Today I am going to focus on two categories.  First, projects I am already working on and hoping to finish by December 31, 2016.  Then projects I am starting in the next few weeks and hope to complete by the end of the year.  I typically work in two fiber arts medias, quilting and knitting, so my project lists will include both.

Projects already in progress that I have plans of completing this year include:

Quilting Finish-A-Longs 2016

1. Snapshots (Fat Quarter Shop BOM 2015)

I will donate this quilt upon completion to a family that has been affected by childhood cancer as this was a fundraiser for St. Jude's.  The fabric line is Daysail and I bought the kit last year from the Fat Quarter Shop.  I am currently working on the 7th block in the series.



2. Moda Sampler Block Shuffle

I was messing around looking for block of the month programs a couple of weeks ago and came across this weekly quilt block program.  I immediately fell in love with the concept but I did not care for the fabric line Moda suggested using.  I had a fat quarter pack of Moda's Hello Darling line that called to me.  I decided to share the wealth and put a mystery quilt together for my mother, sister and friend to join in on the fun.  These blocks are adorable.



3. Vintage Farm Girl by Lori Hol

I started the blocks from this book Summer 2016 with my daughter.  Our plan is to put enough blocks together to complete a Full-Size quilt for her bed.  Summer 2016 we will redo her room using this quilt as the basis of her room and decorate accordingly.  These blocks are great for her to learn quilting as they are interesting and not overwhelming done one at a time.


 
4. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas Instagram Sew-A-Long 

I discovered this quilt in November 2015.  Have pieced 6 blocks in the series but I am not completely happy with the colors and how they are blending together, so I shelved the quilt.  I think I will pull it out again in the summer and see what I can do to improve on what I began.



Knitting Finish-A-Longs 2016

1. Phoebe Hat & Mitts (Swan's Island)

I fell in love with this set last fall and eagerly awaited its release.  I bought myself the navy blue and green set my parents spoiled me with the red-orange and green set for Christmas.  I am excited to learn more Fair Isle Knitting and these small projects are perfect.



2. Simplicity Toe-Up-Two-At-A-Time Socks

I started these socks for my son Riley.  Its good to always have a sock project on hand as they are small and travel well.  In the past my issue with socks is I never finish the second sock.  I thought I would solve this one sock dilemma by knitting socks two at a time.  It's a bit cumbersome, but in time I will have this technique mastered.



Now on to the projects I have hopes of beginning AND completing this year include but are not limited to:

Quilting

1. Bloom Sew-A-Long 2016

I am the first person to admit that applique scares me.  I elected to join this Sew Along for two reasons, sometimes I need to get out of my comfort zone and Lori Holt's instructions are clear and easy to understand.  Should be interesting to see how this works out.  Today is the first day in this Sew Along and I am excited to get my block started and hopefully finished.

2. Crossroads Quilt Along

I hesitated on joining this Quilt Along as I had already purchased Bloom.  My darling husband suggested I go ahead and order the kit as the profits benefit the March of Dimes this year and it is a years worth of entertainment for me.  Isn't my husband darling?

3. Quilty Fun Sew Along

I missed this the first time it came around and have decided to run with it on my own!

Knitting

1. Baa-ble Hat (2)

I made one of these hats and enjoyed the pattern.  A friend loved my hats and has requested a couple of her own.  Thought I would oblige.

2. Lucca (Shawl by Brooklyn Tweed)

A dear friend and long time knitting buddy mentioned she wanted to start this shawl.  I find in knitting lately that if I don't try something new I lose interest quickly.  This shawl will be a challenge and fun to chat about with Lisa.  While it calls for using lace weight yarn I've got a fingering that I need to put to use and this fits the bill.

A long list of things to do this year but not impossible.  I am looking forward to sharing my trials and tribulations with all of you!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Lots of good goals and you can do them. Slow and steady like the tortoise right? I am thrilled you are quilting again. :0)

    ReplyDelete